In a world set on chrome, many people may ask, “Why PVD wheels instead of chrome?” There are many advantages to why PVD wheels over chrome, especially considering their similar appearance. After learning about the advantages of PVD over chrome rims, we have a feeling that wheel manufacturers will find PVD to be the stronger choice for metal finishing.
Why PVD Wheels
In appearance, PVD, or physical vapor deposition, is a high-shine powder-coat that looks very similar to chrome, but has many more advantages. Here are a few reasons on why PVD wheels are a great option instead of chrome:
- Can weigh 2-3 pounds lighter than chrome wheels
- PVD helps decrease rotation mass
- Reduction in weight boosts your ability to increase speed faster
- Great for year-round all-weather conditions
- Require cleaning with only soap and water, typical of a normal car wash
- Magnesium chloride and salt used in wintery conditions don’t eat away at PVD finishes
- In the event something does happen, it’s easy and inexpensive to recoat
- PVD wheels are manufactured with environmentally friendly products, as opposed to typical chrome plating
- PVD typically has a longer manufacturer warranty than chrome
Often, when customers choose chrome-plated wheels, they must be removed in the winter to avoid the damaging effects of salt and magnesium chloride used to eat away at ice and snow on roads. One reason why PVD wheels have an advantage is that rims won’t have to be removed in the winter, as opposed to chrome. Additionally, many chrome plated wheel warranties only cover one to two years, while most of the time PVD is guaranteed for well over three years.
When it comes to metal finishing, you’ll never have to ask, “Why PVD wheels?” again. PVD is the clear choice for metal finishing of wheels and automotive rims due to the environmentally friendly production process, vehicle performance capabilities and their ability to hold up in extreme winter weather conditions.
Learn more about PVD coating for wheels by contacting Bend Plating today. We offer chrome colored PVD coating for automotive wheels and can answer any of your production and manufacturing questions.